York is such a beautiful spot to visit with an absolute wealth of history. For that, it is definitely a ‘must-see’ holiday destination in England.
At just under 4 hours’ drive from London, York is easily accessible to everyone and is jam packed with a myriad of great sightseeing opportunities.
Hiring a car in the UK is fairly easy, but you do need to keep an eye on the rising hire costs, caused by the financial woes in Europe. So if you are heading to the UK on holiday and are thinking of hiring a car to explore York’s historic Cathedral, the medieval Clifford Tower or any of the other wonderful historic attractions in and around York, here are 4 tips to help you cut down on the hire costs.
- Don’t hire from the airport: The airport has always been the most expensive place for hiring a car, so always avoid the airport. Instead take a train, bus or even a taxi to a nearby town (after doing your research at home), because you will find the rates a way too cheaper than the ones from the airport.
- Look for online deals: Before you leave for the UK, make sure that you check out all of the online deals that are available for hire cars, so you know exactly where to go when you arrive. Compare prices, particularly the discounts for weekly hires and make sure that all of the insurances and costs are included in the quoted prices.
- Last minute car hire: Even though you have already searched online and completed your research, it always pays to check out the availability of last minute deals. Car hire companies want their cars on the road, so you’ll quite often find that they give discounts in the late afternoon, particularly on a Friday. It’s a good idea to browse DriveNow for last minute car hire booking in York and other cities in the UK, as whatever money you save on car hire can be used to increase your sightseeing budget.
- Use your discounts: Most of us forget about these discounts, but if you belong to a frequent flyer club, a car breakdown club or caravan club for example, even a 5% discount can add up to significant savings. Even some credit cards give you a discount on car hire rates if you pay for them using your credit card. So be sure to dig out all of your membership cards, before you head off on holiday and check out whether they offer car hire discounts.
With these 4 tips, you should make some real savings on the cost of your car hire in the UK, giving you more money to spend on having a good time with your family.
York Events to watch out for
- The York International Shakespeare Festival will launch in May 2015
- Flying Scotsman Season
- York Literature Festival in March
- What’s on in York –