- EASY Choose communal table or bar in casual restaurants.
- EASY Opt for a 3 course set meal, then you stay for the whole experience. Hopefully there is an indulgent dessert.
- EASY Smart phones make solo dining easier if you need props.
- EASY A hint is a pink Financial Times paper. It alerts staff you are on an expense account.
- EASY Instagram is not just for kids. If you love what you ordered, take a picture and share it. Now you are not eating alone!
- HARDER Loosen up nervous vocal cords and chat with staff.
- HARDER Focus on the food, not on others. No one sees you. They just see their own meal.
The best story: A woman vacationed alone for her birthday. She was nervous, feeling lonely. With trepidation, she entered the hotel dining room. She chatted with the maitre d’. She complimented wait staff. She thanked the maitre d’ on leaving. The next day, another guest stopped her. I saw you last night, you must be the manager. Everyone knew you.